Sunday, August 16, 2009

Swearing Correctnes or PC is passe..

Wow! It's been a crazy last coupla weeks. I just realized today that yesterday, August 15, an esp. easy to remember date for me, because it just happens to be the Indian Independence Day, marked 5 years since I was last in India, the significance of which is, it's the last time I saw my family.

But anyways, here's something interesting I saw today. The Australian comic/ pianist Tim Minchin on the subject of censorship. I whole-heartedly concur, esp. the part about context..

I occasionally use a lot of so-called bad words, aka swear words, cuss words, or by myriad other names which basically all come down to them being offensive to different people. To start with, people have very thin skin these days. Political Correctness. All that jizz. Oops. Jazz. But even without all of that, what it boils down to is censorship. Of anything that is outside the mainstream, and hence outside people's comfort zones.

Just for example. What is so bad about "god-damn", "hell", "shit", or "fuck" !? And how has one miraculously avoided the apocalypse when you say "gosh-darn", "heck", "crap", and "fish" instead!?

No comments: